Monday, October 11, 2010

For this term I have decided to continue the saga of Helga Minelli for a different standpoint, and that is from her 'lovers. ' The inspiration for the project originally came from a fellow student's suggestion, at first I laughed it off, but the idea spawned another sort of concept. For a long time I have been fascinated with biographies, especially those of artists, and their personal lives. A trend and stereotype among artists is that they have rather turbulent lives, especially when it boils down to their love life. In this particular aspect, the common trend has been rather depressing, and very rarely does one find a fairy tale of an artist's life.
What I would like to do is look into specific artists that have influenced me, research their personal lives, and how their personal life made its way into their art, especially where it has been petty and vengeful. From there I plan on taking the vast source of turbulent love stories involving historically significant artists and concentrate on the ones who's stories directly parallel and compare them to “Lover” characters in Helga Minelli’s story. Pablo Picasso is of particular interest to me in this respect not only because of personal behavior, but for the brutally honest and petty portraits he did of his wives and mistresses varying on his feelings for them at the time.
So far I have developed 7 ex-Lovers for Helga, and have found seven stories in art history that, from Helga's standpoint, parallel to her own personal tragedies:

Lover 1.) Dirk Calligan/Paul Gauguin
Crime: Abandonment/Stole Helga's Motorcycle

Lover 2.) Sargent Jacques/ Edward Weston
Crime: Le cheat de France

Lover 3.) Clark Kent/Alfred Stieglitz
Crime: Lost glasses and found himself on Louis Lane

Lover 4.) Dublin Baker/Jackson Pollock
Crime: Beats his women like his dough

Lover 5.) Popeye Magritte/James Abbott McNeill Whistler
Crime: Traded Helga for a string of pearls

Lover 6.) Cowboy ("Billy Joe")Coolidge/Mark Rothko
Crime: Took his guns to Town, shot himself.

Lover 7.) Jasper Tanning /Man Ray
Crime: 'assisted' by assistant

My plan is to focus on each of the 'Lover' characters with photography. I plan on creating tableau vivants for each character and modeling for the separate character personas myself, just like I do with Helga. With each photo series, I would like to focus on the personal wrongs that the 'lovers' have committed against Helga, and catch them in the act.
Likewise, in response to these acts, I will do a series of mugshots featuring Helga that catch her response to these wrongs through crimes she's committed "lashing out" as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment